The CQI Code of Professional Conduct
Statement of personal responsibility
It is the professional and ethical responsibility of everyone who practices in the field of quality management to uphold the highest standards of professional conduct in the exercise of their professional duties.
Our profession has a responsibility to uphold the standards under which we operate. In doing so, we hope to make a positive contribution to society and commerce. We aspire to the core values articulated in this code of ethics and we acknowledge our commitment to adhering to these ideals in our profession.
Quality professionals must maintain exemplary standards of integrity, competence, objectivity, honesty, courage, fairness and respect in all aspects of their work - to demonstrate the epitome of professionalism.
Quality professionals shall:
- Have a primary duty to ensure our employers' activities are conducted in compliance with the laws and regulations of the authorities under which we operate, consistent with advancing the principles of excellence
- Be competent to perform the services we have been hired or retained to perform. As quality professionals we must commit ourselves to continual learning while being able to acknowledge areas that are outside of our expertise
- Act in an objective manner. As quality professionals we must base decisions on factual information. We must not be unduly influenced by competing or conflicting interests
- Have integrity. As quality professionals we must be principled and consistent in applying our views. We must live up to our commitments, and be trustworthy and scrupulous at all times
- Be honest in all dealings with our employers and others with whom we interact. As quality professionals we must ensure that information and communications, whether oral or written, are accurate and complete. We acknowledge that personal and institutional credibility are crucial to our success
- Have the courage to make difficult decisions and present all relevant information to our organizations to promote wise decisions. As quality professionals we must be able to withstand challenges to our views, while at the same time be accountable for our mistakes
- Be fair in our dealings with all parties. As quality professionals we must apply legal and regulatory standards equitably. We must be just in considering the interests of all parties in decision processes
- Be respectful of others, whether it is our peers, subordinates or external parties with whom we interact. As quality professionals we must treat all individuals with dignity and courtesy
- Maintain transparency, honesty and sound probity in all financial and commercial matters both within our own companies and when dealing with, or acting on behalf of, clients.